Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Book Review: Captive Prince Trilogy ❤


This trilogy has quickly taken over every available place in my heart. The love I have for these kingdoms and their rulers is absolutely unbelievable. I have read many books that I've enjoyed yet only few (3 actually) have been named as my absolute favorites. I think it is obvious by now that I absolutely 100% want everyone to read these three beautiful novels; Captive Prince, Prince's Gambit, and Kings Rising

C. S. Pacat began writing this trilogy and sharing chapters online, after the story gained great popularity she published in 2013. The story follows Prince Damen,  the rightful king of Akielos, as he is sent to become a bed slave for Prince Laurent of Vere. Together, these men form an inseparable bond amidst the secrets and wars brewing around them. Over the course of three books, both Damen and Laurent fight against their usurpers in hopes to gain back power and support from their people. I first found these books in a blog post by Lily at Sprinkles of Dreams. I was beyond excited to start reading these books, I called up my local bookstore and reserved the first one as fast as I could (from work actually, haha). I bought the first book, a bit apprehensive as to how I would like it, as I have never read a fantasy novel. Needless to say, I was not disappointed in the slightest and bought the next two immediately.


Lily expressed concern for the controversy facing the first novel in the trilogy. I am aware that Captive Prince has many negative reviews due to subjects of forced sexual acts and slavery. Though some readers may find this extremely off putting, I don't think it is a rightful reason to negatively rate this book. It is obvious and right that rape is illegal and highly frowned upon (for lack of a better phrase) in our modern society, however as a reader we must understand the social norms and customs of the settings within the story. The kingdom of Vere is run in a very different way than our modern society where slavery and sexual acts are viewed in an opposite light. Putting that aside, I really enjoyed the first book. I knew going into the trilogy that it is a romance and so I was disappointed that Damen and Laurent did not get a long throughout the majority of Captive Prince. I understood why Damen disliked Laurent for obvious reasons yet I couldn't help but wish they'd put their differences aside sooner than later. After finishing the entire trilogy, the angst within the first book truly helped set up their relationship. While reading this book, I was trying to think of what it could mean and what the book was really trying to say. While trying to paint a bigger picture with the contents, I remembered that it is a romance where there isn't necessarily a deeper meaning. That being said, there were still many lessons to be learned about trust and honesty. Onto a lighter subject, Prince Laurent was described so beautifully. I wish these books would be made into a movie so I can see Laurent on the big screen. He is by far one of my favorite characters. Not only is he beautiful but he also bled character development. From being a smart mouthed snake in Captive Prince, we see him change into the soft and gentle young leader he truly is in Kings Rising. We see a hint of his soft side with his interactions with Erasmus. I loved Erasmus' story and was glad to see he got a very happy ending. Now to get a bit more technical. The writing in the book is beautiful. We are placed right into the middle of conflict within Akielos, yet it is not difficult to understand the setting or actions taking place. While I was reading this book, a friend described the writing as "Shakespeare shit" though I don't believe Pacat writes anything like Shakespeare, I do find this book to be slightly poetic and easy to picture. However, the tone of this book felt extremely different to the following two. This book was harsh and dark, lacking any signs of romance until the end. 


Right off the bat, Prince's Gambit felt like a different novel completely. It was much more romantic right from the start whereas Captive Prince gave a off a more sexual and dominating feel. We had a hint of romance within the first novel between Erasmus and Torveld, yet even that relationship was described differently than the relationships in this book. It sort of feels as though there is an entirely different author writing. Maybe if I reread the books over, I might change my mind. Where the first book was written poetically and dark, this book felt much lighter and almost contemporary. Laurent and Damen had dialogue that I'd never have imagined based on their interactions in the first book. It seemed a bit strange how quickly their relationship changed but looking back it makes sense based on what they went through towards the end of Captive Prince. Laurent was twice as crafty and deceptive in this second book. Which made me love him twice as much. He is such a strong and interesting character, I don't know how anyone would not love him. My notes on the second and third book blend together because I read them back to back so I'm not entirely sure of the timeline, haha. I do recall a lot of betrayal in Prince's Gambit which made this book hard to put down. I read in a review before I read this series that Laurent would eventually take Damen to bed, and so I was on edge through this entire book waiting for it to happen. I thought for sure it would take place in the third book, and so I was anxious with thinking it would change the whole atmosphere of the book, which it did; and even more so when the truth is revealed in Kings Rising. I texted my friends constantly while reading Prince's Gambit, I was so worried about Laurent discovering the truth and the outcome. Keep in mind, my friends haven't read any of this trilogy and i'm sure got pretty tired of me mentioning it. Overall, the romance and ongoing twists and turns of Prince's Gambit made this book an incredible continuation.


Okay now we get to the good stuff. This book right here crushed my heart into dust then brought me back to life. I cried many times throughout reading Kings Rising. The relationship between Damen and Laurent in this book is all I need for the rest of my life. They are so sweet and in love, I'm crying just thinking about them. Throughout these three books, the timeline of the men falling in love is very realistic. It is refreshing to see Damen and Laurent take their time especially after reading so many YA novels where the characters fall in love instantly. Their relationship appeared natural and honest. I mentioned early that Laurent's character development was the greatest in the world. He was such a sweetheart in this last book with all around realistic and pragmatic characteristics. He was his usual sharp and snarky self, but we see he is also full of self doubt and hatred. Damen and the crew that grew throughout Prince's Gambit come to his aid when he thought he had to face things all alone. The ending of this book was incredible. I genuinely had to put it down and stop reading for a bit because I wasn't sure how it would end. I knew it was a romance and it would probably end well, yet I feared the worst. I almost couldn't finish because I didn't want it to end badly.

The short stories that follow this trilogy are probably my favorite things in the whole world. Not only is Summer Palace full of beautiful romance and intimacy but it also lets readers know Damen and Laurent are still going strong after the end of Kings Rising. My favorite short story is definitely The Adventures of Charls, the Veretian Cloth Merchant. This story shows such an adorable side of Laurent. It is full of cute interactions between Damen and Laurent. Plus, we get the hear the joke about Charls and cousin Charls again, which was definitely the funniest joke in the whole trilogy.

I truly can't recommend this trilogy enough, it has made my heart so warm. (and look at these awesome Japanese versions!)


Have you read this series? What are your thoughts??
Indiana Grace
(っ˘ڡ˘ς)

The Adventures of Charls, the Veretian Cloth Merchant

No comments:

Post a Comment