Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Book Review: Dream Boy


I have previously mentioned that I am not an avid reader. However, recently I have been enjoying a good book and a cup of coffee. I have actually read more books already this month than I had last year in its entirety. I currently have a stack of books on my bedroom floor about a mile high. I wanted to read a light and easy love story; so I decided Dream Boy would be my next read as I assumed it was more of a contemporary romance. It is not. I promise. This book is definitely not a contemporary story and it will definitely break your heart. 

Grimsley created characters that are so difficult to dislike. While reading, I just wanted to hold Nathan close and tell him everything would be okay. Most of the time Roy was likable too, and it seemed like he really did care for Nathan. The story follows a 15 year old Nathan as he moves to a new town. He meets his neighbor, Roy, and an intimate relationship blooms. The boys are drawn to each other for some unannounced reason. Yet problems arise when Roy finds Nathan living in the woods. Hes on the run from his father. It is clearly hinted that Nathans father has raped and molested him in the past. This story is a very special one. Nathan struggles realizing he is homosexual, realizing that he enjoys the intimacy with Roy. Sex was scary and painful with his father, yet it is completely different with Roy, thus causing Nathans inner struggle. Nathans struggle is less obvious than Roy's. Living in a small Christian town, with the perfect girlfriend, Roy is crushed under the weight of his affections for Nathan. 

The first half of this novel was beautiful. It was a gorgeous and important story to tell. I felt so warm and fuzzy reading the growing feelings between these two boys. Then the story changes and it is all of a sudden a ghost story. A confusing one at that. This sub plot seemed very out of place and unnecessary. I don't believe any of it helped to develop the story. This leads us to the end, the sad sad sad ending. (SPOILERS) Nathan is brutally raped and murdered by a friend of Roy. He was seemingly jealous of the relationship between Nathan and Roy. So he does what any jealous person does, he rapes Nathan and beats his head in until his skull cracks open, naturally. This was a necessary part of the story to show homophobia, however did sweet Nathan need to die? Really? The ending is actually very ambiguous and its not entirely clear whether Nathan is dead or not. I didn't really like this. Obviously I want to believe he is alive and Nathan and Roy will spend the rest of their lives together. The movie interpretation makes it cannon that Nathan is a ghost. Which isn't how I wanted this book to end. So, I'll choose to believe otherwise. 

Read the first half of this book, you will love it. Read the second half too if you want to be confused and heartbroken. In all honestly, this book has a really interesting message on the effect of child molestation on future intimacy and romance while also dealing with homophobia and self acceptance. 

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts ??
Indiana Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment