Sunday, July 8, 2018

Book Review: Sometime After Midnight

Sometime After Midnight by L. Philips is a sweet new young adult novel self-titled as a "cinderfella" story. Though there is so much more to this story than searching for a lost love. This story deals with grief, forgiveness, mental illness, and encourages its readers to pursue dreams even if it seems like the world is against them.

Nate Grisheimer is 17 and works at his stepmoms Dairy Barn. He's also an incredible guitarist scared to break into the musical world. A fear instilled by his musical genius father, Mick Grisheimer. When his father killed himself, Nate had no answers to his questions; all he knew was that Paradise records drove his father to suicide. The music he played with his father is kept in the walls of his bedroom, only for his ears.Then comes the beautiful boy asking him to dance at a concert for one of his favorite bands. This boy knows real music, sweeping Nate right off his feet. That is until Nate realizes this perfect boy is Cameron Pierce, heir of Paradise records.

Cameron Pierce is nothing like his father, he hopes to change the way Paradise is run and struggles to get that across to the tabloids who assume he is just your average spoiled rich kid. Cameron wants to sing, somewhere other than his shower. Yet with his connections, he can't prove himself in the music industry without being told he was given his career, and can't begin to imagine how his father would react. He keeps his hopes and dreams locked up until Nate comes along. With this new love interest, Cameron is inspired to fight back against the comfortable lifestyle he lives. With a boost of confidence and support he can achieve great things.
This book was so incredibly sweet. I loved just about every second of reading it. That being said, it was also a quick read with its classic YA writing style. I actually requested the library (also my workplace) to purchase this book and by the time it came out I didn't feel like reading it, though of course I felt obligated since I made the library buy it. I'm so glad I gave this book a chance, it was the perfect break from Captive Prince (which is basically the complete opposite of this book, review to come!). I always love reading a sweet fluffy YA after a more dense novel. If you feel the same way then this book is a foolproof option. I would love to read a sequel with Vic and Tess! 

I always love cute coffee talk! Almost like a crossover of my favorite things: gay fiction and coffee. This book was full of it, whether it was Cam and Tess talking business over a hot cup or Nate taking note of how Cam likes his in the morning. 
"Are you going to want more? Because I am."
"All the coffee." 
 The relationship between Cam and Nate was beyond adorable. I loved how supportive they were of each other. They encouraged one another both musically and emotionally. It was often said that they were a bit scared that they were being too supportive which I found refreshing and relatable. I wouldn't necessarily say that their relationship was realistic because it was extremely positive once they got together. However, there was never an issue with anyone that Nate and Cam were gay. This seemed unrealistic. We may want the world to be an overly accepting place but some people will just never be okay with homosexuality, which is why I always find it weird when books are set in a world full of acceptance. It would definitely take away from the main plot if homophobia was also thrown in so I understand, its just something I see a lot and find a bit improbable. (SPOILER?) The only thing I thought was a bit funky about their relationship was how quickly they slept together. Nate mentioned a few times that he needed to get laid yet it was clear he was a virgin. It seemed strange that they'd sleep together the same day they realized their feelings, and even after they slept together they were unsure if they'd date.

There was tons of great discussion on mental illness towards the end of the novel. Characters mentioned there should be more considerate feelings and discussions towards mental illness which is obviously something that should be encouraged and made true. This book specifically talks of schizophrenia and hinted at depression and anxiety. There was also a lot of discussion about family relationships which is just as important. The book encourages healthy relationships with family members; Cam and his father, Nate and his stepmom.

Cam was 100% my favorite character, I felt like I could really relate to him. He had so much development from the beginning of the book to the end. He matured in positive and realistic ways. (sPoILeR!1!) When Cam realized he had to give his demo to a different company in order to really prove himself in the music industry I was so proud of my baby boy. He just needed some love and a bit of encouragement to get where he wanted to be. TToTT

There's two main things that I didn't like in this book (woah 2 things, that's a lot!). First of all, why does Nate have to dress like such a dweeb. Sorry if that's mean but suspenders and a bow tie everyday is a bit much... He just sounded so uncool which didn't fit his personality at all. Also, why does the cover and every summary of this book have to do with Nate's converse, sure it kicks off the story but its pretty insignificant past the first 100 pages. Second, the lyrics that were meant to be emotional and inspiring were all super cheesy, they sounded like emo poems I wrote when I was 13 (the only song I liked and thought was actually decent was the one they wrote for Mick).

I thought it would be cute to make a playlist of music that remind me of reading this book so here it is!

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts?
Indiana Grace
(●♡∀♡))ヾ☆*。

No comments:

Post a Comment